Thursday 23 March 2017

Shoot One (1910s) - Work Record

Plans for the Shoot

For my first shoot, I plan to recreate a look that represents the 1910s. This will include some dark shadowing around the eyes and some glossy lipstick, with minimal make up on the actual face (for example, no contouring as this was not a thing in the 1910s). I will shoot my images against a black background as the model I am using has pale skin, which will help create contrast between her and the background. I then plan to edit my photographs in photoshop in a way that will make them appear old and faded - as if the images actually came from this decade. For the 1910s, I will add a lot of grain and slightly blur the image as, at the time, cameras were not of the best quality. I will also desaturate the images to a large extent and add a strong vignette as I found that this was a common occurrence with images from this time. 

What I Actually Achieved

I feel that I was successful in achieving what I hoped to in this shoot. As I was constantly referring back to my image bank and to further images on google, I feel that I created an accurate representation of beauty in the 1910s. However, I did decide to change the look slightly from what I had in my image bank. In my image bank, I discussed how heavy eyes and lips were a common trend in this time. However, when I looked into this further, I found that it was another trend to have softer, paler lips with dark shadowing around the eyes and so I decided to go with this look instead as I felt there would be too much darkness in the image otherwise. I also feel that my editing for this shoot went well as I was able to make it grainy and slightly blurred/softened, which give it the vintage effect I was hoping to achieve. Below is an image that I did and didn't like.


This was my favourite image from my shoot as I feel that it is the most similar to what I was actually hoping to achieve. I think that by having a classic, deadpan portrait like this is good for capturing the style of the model rather than anything else - such as her pose. I also enjoy that it is quite close up as we can really see the details in her face and hair. The dark tones in this image help to create a high contrast as her hair almost blends into the background, helping to bring more attention to her face.


This was an image that I did not like. I felt that, with this image, the framing was slightly off as there is a lot of empty space around her. If this space was filled with something else then it may have looked more visually pleasing, however as it is just a plain black background I think it makes the image look quite boring. I also do not like that she is looking away from the camera as this does not help to catch the attention of the viewer as it makes the model seem disinterested in the shoot. 

What I Am Going to Do Next

Next time, I will be conducting a shoot focussed on the 1920s. In this shoot, I will make sure that the model is looking at the camera and focussing on the shoot the whole time, and I will focus more on my framing as a lot of my images from this shoot, in my opinion, were not framed in an aesthetically pleasing way. I will also try and be more adventurous with the make up look I do and try and make it pop more. Whilst this look was accurate, I feel that it was too plain and so I will try to work on this in  future shoots.

No comments:

Post a Comment